• Differences between round robin resolutions and taking resolutions at board meetings.
• What is meant by a quorum and proxy (incl. whether a director can appoint a proxy?)
• Declarations of interests.
• Numbering of resolutions.
• Voting – who can vote, how many votes are required to approve a resolution.
• Understand the governance of meetings and the duties of directors ito the Companies Act.
• Samples of case law and practical examples on the use of minutes in law.
• Importance of recording who attends meetings, maintenance of attendance registers etc.
• Obtaining the approval from attendees as to whether the meetings can be recorded electronically, and the pros and cons thereof.
• Understand what skills are required by a minute taker in order to take effective minutes.
• Understand what content should be recorded.
• General complaints and challenges minute takers face.
• The responsibilities of company secretary in regard to assisting in the drafting of the agenda, matters arising/action lists and annual meeting planners.
• Learn how to record formal minutes (Board, Committee, Associations, Exco)
• Understand formal meeting procedures.
• Identify and minute action items and resolutions.
• Drafting a meeting management process / timeline to suit your organisation.
• Understand the importance of transcribing accurate minutes and the role of the minute taker in the meeting.